8 Easy Ways to Save Money on Health Care Costs
Admittedly, there are many things out of your control when it comes to healthcare costs. But, there are still steps you can take that add up to more dollars in your pocket. Following these tips can help save money on health care costs.
- Use preventive care. A healthy lifestyle equals lower medical costs. Eat well, exercise, and get enough sleep.
- Quit smoking. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than $240 billion in healthcare spending.
- Stay in-network. Utilize in-network providers for better insurance coverage and less out-of-pocket costs.
- Stress less. Take advantage of your company’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and manage mental health as carefully as you would physical.
- Buy generic drugs. The copay for generic drugs is considerably less than for brand names, and drug makers use the same formulary standards.
- Choose wisely. Get the right health plan for your lifestyle, considering deductibles, coinsurance, and copays for doctor visits.
- Avoid the ER. Use minor emergency clinics or schedule doctor visits for minor emergencies or illnesses instead of going to the hospital’s emergency room.
- Use tax-deferred accounts. Open a Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending Account (FSA) to set aside a fixed amount of money from each paycheck pretax to pay for out-of-pocket medical costs.
For more advice on reducing your medical costs, please contact Nextep’s benefits experts.