In a crisis, life can seem a little scary. It’s easy to lose sight of the good in the midst of trying times. However, taking care of your mental health is never more important than when you face a crisis.
Mental health includes emotional, psychological, and social well-being. According to mentalhealth.gov, your mental state can impact how you feel, think, act, make decisions, handle stress, and relate to others. When a crisis hits, you may experience increased emotional stress and anxiety as well as a growing sense of isolation. The good news is: there are several ways to help yourself and your loved ones cope with trying times.
8 ways to support your mental health
- Enjoy activities that make you happy, like painting or playing board games with your family.
- Take time away from watching, reading, or listening to the news or social media. For example, constantly listening to the news related to a crisis can add to your distress. It’s important to give yourself a break when you can.
- Connect with people! Talk to them about your concerns, thoughts, and feelings.
- Treat your body well. Try meditation, deep breathing exercises, or stretching.
- Remember to eat healthily, exercise daily, and get plenty of rest.
- Get professional help if you need it. Support is only a phone call away! Many mental health professionals offer telehealth services.
- Practice gratitude by listing three things you’re grateful for with your friends and family.
- Stay positive for yourself and those around you!
In addition, Nextep clients have access to mental health support through Teladoc* and the Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Health Advocate. Log into your Nextep account to access your medical coverage options or the EAP. Also, Nextep can help clients build a culture of wellness at their workplace.
For more resources for managing, visit our Mental Health Resources page in the Nextep Wellness Hub. Still have questions? Contact your benefits coordinator today at 888.811.5150 or email@example.com.
*Additional fees may apply. Log into your Teladoc account to learn more about available services and fees. Nextep employees can also contact the benefits team with questions about plan details.